What to do when someone passes away

Probate Solicitors in Portsmouth

The immediate steps you need to take when someone dies vary depending on the circumstances. If their death was expected, you will probably already be in contact with various healthcare professionals who will be able to advise. If the death is unexpected then you need to contact 111 to see if a coroner is required.

Registering the death is the next step. This will give you the paperwork that you need to make funeral arrangements and take care of the business of wrapping up the estate. You will not normally be allowed to act on behalf of the deceased until various agencies have seen the death certificate. Even then, you may need a grant of probate to continue. If you are unsure what to do, you can contact Andrew & Andrew, probate solicitors in Portsmouth to check. We can help you with the legal processes that follow.

Reading of the will

If someone has made a will, this is normally read as soon as possible. One of the things that some people choose to include in their will is an idea of the funeral arrangements they wanted.

The will usually also names executors. These are the people who will administer the estate. One or all of the named persons can act on behalf of the estate. Andrew & Andrew can help with complicated processes, taxes and other common estate issues when we act as your probate solicitors in Portsmouth.

Who do you need to contact?

One of the things that Andrew & Andrew can help you with when acting as your probate solicitors in Portsmouth is compiling a list of the agencies you need to contact to inform them of the death. This will include some of all of the following:

  • HMRC
  • DVLA
  • Passport agency
  • Any local authorities such as the council.

Winding up domestic ties also includes telling banks, creditors and utility companies. Wherever necessary, they will send final bills to be settled out of the proceeds of the estate. We can talk to you about what to do if there is not enough money to cover all the expenses involved so please do not worry if you think this might be the case.