In the UK, family is the pillar of our society and in an ideal world, a well-run family unit can help anyone get through the toughest of times.

However, it is an unfortunate fact that we do not live in an ideal world and many families are broken up, on the verge of divorce or are suffering from another domestic issue. This is made harder when there are young children involved, but is always tough nonetheless.

And so, many people will at one point or another find themselves searching for a solicitor that will help them with domestic issues such as divorce, child visitation or financial implications following a separation. While it is always preferable to be able to resolve such issues with minimal legal involvement, it is not always possible and so, you will need to find a representative who is experienced in all areas of family law.

Whether you are beginning divorce proceedings or are curious about your legal rights in relation to child visitation, our family solicitors in Portsmouth can help. At Andrew & Andrew, our family based team will offer you advice with any domestic matter and will factor in more sensitive matters, such as child welfare and wellbeing while remaining professional and dedicated to your cause.

In relation to divorce, what are some of the most common questions that our family solicitors in Portsmouth are asked? Read on to find out.

I want to divorce but my former partner doesn’t- what do I do?

In this instance, you need to contact our team of family solicitors in Portsmouth for advice.

We can liaise with your former partner’s solicitor to offer a solution to this issue. However, in cases such as this, we may need to go to court. But don’t panic, at Andrew & Andrew we have handled innumerable cases such as this and will begin the necessary paperwork to facilitate your separation.

How much will a divorce cost?

It’s hard to say as it will depend on the length of the separation process; if we need to go through court, it will be more expensive, so we will aim to settle it outside of court in most instances.

How long will it take?

Once again, this depends on a myriad of factors, but on average the divorce process in the UK can take between 4-6 months to complete.

My ex has stopped paying child support- can I stop visitation?

No, these are 2 separate issues and you cannot continue without child visitation. If you agree on visitation through a court case, you may be held in contempt of court. But, if your ex is not paying child support, contact our team for advice on which steps you need to take.

How is property divided?

If you both purchased a property, then you may choose to sell and divide the profits or give it to the parent who is raising the children. Many considerations will be factored in by solicitors when it comes to dividing properties between ex-spouses.