In the UK, personal injury claims are a huge area, encompassing everything from accidents at work to motor-based collisions.

And, while many people are all too familiar with the advertisements on TV offering compensation for injuries, few people are aware of the process behind employing a solicitor to defend their case.

At Andrew and Andrew, we are proud to be able to offer our clients a range of services, including personal injury solicitors Portsmouth, allowing them to seek justice for any injuries acquired at work, on the road or in other public areas. We will only take on cases where we think we have a high chance of obtaining compensation, so what do you have to lose by giving us a call?

Curious to learn more? Here, our personal injury solicitors Portsmouth answer 5 FAQs we receive about these types of claims for your information.

What is the process behind a personal injury claim?

Firstly, contact our personal injury solicitors Portsmouth to see if you have a case.

If we decide that you do, we will then submit your claim to the defendant (the person who caused the injury either directly or indirectly). They have a timescale to either accept or deny liability; if they do accept liability, we will look to gather medical evidence to submit to them and then work with their legal representation to come to a compensation amount.

If they deny responsibility, then we will commence court proceedings.

How long does the process take?

For most road traffic based claims, it can take between 6-9 months to settle.

However, if you were injured at work, it can take longer and for more complex cases of personal injury, it may take up to 2 years for you to get compensation, but don’t worry! We will aim to make the process as fast as possible!

There were no witnesses to my accident, can I make a claim?

Of course!

But be sure that you have all of the information required to make a claim, such as the date of the accident, where it occurred and any photographs if applicable (such as dents on a car). If it happened in the workplace, take note of the conditions.

Keep note of where you sought help post-accident, such as a GP surgery or hospital and keep all appropriate medical records.

My former employer no longer exists as a company; can I still claim?

Yes, you can.

Even if your former boss has changed the name of the company, it has gone into liquidation or it no longer exists, we can still put a case together. Be sure that the injury you incurred took place within the last 3 years, or it can be a bit trickier for the case to be successful in the UK.

My colleague injured me, so who pays for the compensation?

If the accident took place at the place of work within office hours, then your employer is legally responsible to pay for the compensation under their workplace insurance.