Trainee Solicitor – 2 Year Contract
Location Emsworth Office
Reports to Director
Accountable to Director
To provide a level of service to clients and referrers of work such that Andrew & Andrew is their preferred firm of solicitors and one which they will recommend to others.
The post holder will be expected to assist in the provision of legal services and the giving of legal advice to clients of the firm to the highest standard.
Specific Core Functions:
- Responsible for the conduct of residential property transactions from initial client contact through to completion, dealing with matter-related enquiries;
- Draft contracts for freehold and leasehold sales;
- Be fully conversant with both registered and unregistered conveyancing work;
- Identify title issues, raising / dealing with enquiries, for both registered and unregistered titles in both sale and purchase matters;
- Deal with all aspects of re-mortgage transactions transfer of equity, including managing clients and lenders requirements;
- Ensure compliance with lenders’ requirements at all times relating to panel membership;
- Comply at all times with the obligations set out by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and other relevant regulatory bodies, particularly Solicitors Accounts Rules and CQS requirements;
- Provide legal advice and assistance to existing clients, whilst developing own client base;
- Identify and initiate cross-selling opportunities to clients, whether in conveyancing work or for other legal departments across the firm;
- Be proactive in the business development of the Firm generally;
- Ensure that outstanding client care is given at all times and maintain a highly professional approach;
- Assist with the supervision/training of staff within the department and encourage their development;
- Manage all files methodically and efficiently, in accordance with the Firm’s procedures and SRA/Lexcel requirements;
- Undertake colleagues’ file reviews in a timely manner, if required to do so;
- Ensure confidentiality and security of all practice/client’s documentation and/or information.
- Contribute ideas to the Firm’s marketing strategy for winning new work and implementing agreed initiatives;
- Networking within the local business community and with key referral sources in order to develop/maintain a high profile locally for the practice;
Shared Core Functions:
- Proactively and positively contribute to the achievement of deliverables through individuals and team efforts.
- Build and sustain effective communications with other teams.
- Contribute to the development of a proactive and modern firm that meets the needs of the service.
- Work effectively within a complex and changing environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- LPC or SQE qualified.
- 3 A’ Levels.
- 5 GCSE’s A-C, including English and Maths.
- Relevant work experience and evidence of interest in, and commitment to, the type of work the firm undertakes.
- Experience of working within a legal environment
- IT Skills
- Demonstrate and ability to cope with changing priorities and levels of workload.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Good interpersonal skills
- Interest in Law
- Proven organisational skills
- Ability to produce timely and accurate work
- Numerical skills
- Use of case management & accountancy software, preferably DPS
- Experience in using a digital dictation system
- Knowledge of attracting and retaining new business
- Ability to work flexibly
- Ability to work under pressure and meet changing deadlines
- Positive approach to teamwork
- Sense of humour
- Contribute to the successful overall performance of the firm
- Creating and maintaining effective partnerships and relationships with colleagues, clients and the general public.
- Develop and support the culture of collaboration and commitment to delivering quality services and outcomes.
- Comply with Practice Health and Safety requirements
- Comply with the principles and standards set out by the firm in the office manual
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this job description are indicative and may vary over time. Job holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and scope of the role.