Location Portsmouth Office
Reports to Director
Accountable to Director
To advise the firms’ clients on all family matters to include: Matrimonial, Divorce, Ancillary Relief, Children Matters & Separation Agreements.
To be responsible for the proactive marketing of the Family team and to build strong client relations at all times.
Specific Core Functions
- Dealing with all aspects of private Family Law clients.
- Taking initial instructions in an interview format face to face, over the phone, via zoom/teams/skype as applicable and advising clients on all family matters as detailed above.
- Taking appropriate action in executing client’s instructions in a timely manner
- Attending clients at the office undertaking fixed fee interviews
- Instructing & liaising with Counsel
- Attending Court when necessary
- Drafting divorce petitions, child arrangement orders, financial settlement agreements, separation agreements.
- Instruct & liaising with Mediators
- Billing clients in advance of work
- Ensure clients are aware of fee structure and likely future costs
- To market the Department to increase new business and maximise on cross-selling opportunities
- To meet or exceed targets set including those for billing, time recording and workload.
- Generally conduct files efficiently whilst maintaining the confidentiality of the firm and client’s documents and
Information at all times
- To work efficiently as a Head of Department within the Family team with minimal supervision
- Utilise the firm’s case management system and accounts package
- General Marketing of A2 and the Family Department
- Comply with all principles, procedures and standards set by the firm in the office manual
- To understand the obligations set by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Maintain competence through relevant CPD activities and completing relevant training records
- To abide by and be vigilant in respect of Anti-Money Laundering Regulations and guidelines
- Comply with standard methods of practice i.e. law Society/Lexcel/CQS/Office Manual
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified Solicitor or Legal Executive with a minimum of 1 year PQE;
- 2 x A Levels or equivalent
- Law degree or equivalent
- Experience of working in a busy office
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective use of IT skills
- Proven organisational and administration skills
- Ability to produce accurate work
- Knowledge of the legal system
- Use of case management and accountancy software, preferably DPS
- Knowledge of specialist areas of law
- Ability to work flexibly
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sense of humour
The post holder will:
- Contribute to the successful overall performance of the firm.
- Create and maintain effective partnerships/relationships with colleagues, clients and the general public.
- Develop and support the culture of collaboration and commitment to delivering quality services and outcomes.
- Comply with the principles and standards set out by the firm in the office manual.
Shared Core Functions
- Proactively and positively contribute to the achievement of deliverables through individual and team efforts.
- Build and sustain effective communications with other teams.
- Contribute to the development of a pro-active and modern firm that meets the needs of the service.
- Work effectively within a complex and changing environment.
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this Job Description are indicative and may vary over time. Job holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and scope of the role.