Trainee Solicitor – 2 Year Contract
We have an excellent opportunity for the ideal candidate who will be enthusiastic, career driven and highly organised.
Department Wills and Probate and Civil Litigation
Location Portsmouth Office
Reports to Director
Accountable to Director
Specific Core Functions
- You will assist with the management of cases within various areas of specialism; Wills and Probate and Civil Litigation.
- Maintain client files as required for supervision/audit and in accordance with the requirements of the Law Society and LEXCEL.
- Be willing to develop advocacy service where appropriate.
- Assist other members of the team as required; including attending clients and witnesses, calculating losses, preparing bills, undertaking legal research, attending hearings.
- To achieve your objectives, you will be expected to work as part of a team with Directors, Solicitors, Fee Earners, other trainees and support staff as and when appropriate. You must, therefore be capable of delegating tasks and supervising where appropriate.
- To write letters and produce documents with a good quality of presentation.
- To adhere to client care standards set out in the firm’s terms of business and/or office manual.
- To keep fully up-to-date with the relevant areas of law and practice.
- To keep fully up to date with and to comply with the solicitors’ rules of conduct.
- Record time spent on fee earning and other tasks.
- Attend department meetings.
- Deal with client queries by telephone, face to face meeting or electronically. Assist and be involved with marketing strategies.
- Communicate with all departments cross selling the firms skills to existing clients.
- Comply with Law society/ Lexcel standards/Office manual/contract of employment.
- Undertake relevant internal and external training where required.
- Meet financial targets generating income for the firm.
- Keep working area tidy and safe from hazards.
- Be expected to work at our various offices during the training contract.
Shared Core Functions
- Proactively and positively contribute to the achievement of deliverables through individuals and team efforts.
- Build and sustain effective communications with other teams.
- Contribute to the development of a proactive and modern firm that meets the needs of the service.
- Work effectively within a complex and changing environment.
Qualifications and Experience
- LPC or SQE qualified.
- 3 A’ Levels.
- 5 GCSE’s A- C including English and Maths.
- Relevant work experience and evidence of interest in, and commitment to, the type of work the firm undertakes.
- Experience of working within a legal environment
- IT Skills
- Demonstrate and ability to cope with changing priorities and levels of workload.
Skills and Knowledge
- Good interpersonal skills
- Interest in Law
- Proven organisational skills
- Ability to produce timely and accurate work
- Numerical skills
- Use of case management & accountancy software, preferably DPS
- Experience of using a digital dictation system
- Knowledge of attracting and retaining new business
- Ability to work flexibly
- Ability to work under pressure and meeting changing deadlines
- Positive approach to team working
- Sense of humour