Need some help with child access? FAQs about child residence answered by our family solicitors


When you and your partner separate, it can be a difficult time, especially with relation to agreements about children.

And in the UK, it can be tricky to try and navigate the area of family law by yourself, especially if you are desperate to see your children.

However, our team at Andrew and Andrew can help you and so the moment you have concerns about child access following a separation, contact our team.

At Andrew and Andrew, our family solicitors Emsworth have extensive experience helping to explain this area of the law to our clients, and we can help you to gain access to see your children alongside settling issues surrounding child custody and support payments. And we will do all of this with the professionalism that you deserve at such an emotional time, thereby alleviating any stress you may be feeling..

So, what are some of the common FAQs that our family solicitors Emsworth receive about child access? Read on to find out!

How can I see my children more often?

If you want to see your children more regularly than your former partner is letting you, then contact our family solicitors Emsworth in relation to making a child arrangement order (CAO).

Of course, before we seek to push a CAO through courts, we will attempt to mediate between you and your former spouse, to settle the issue with minimal costs to yourself.

What is joint custody?

In the UK, the term is now child residence and it refers to who the child lives with and how often they may see one parent per week or per month.

This arrangement is usually agreed upon by the parents out of court, but should you need any help to see your children, contact our team about making a CAO or another legal residence agreement.

Do I have to pay child support and spousal support following a divorce?

You will have to pay child support for your children in the UK until they reach the age of 18.

However, if your former spouse has an insufficient income to support your child and their home, then you may have to pay spousal support too.

If you need help with contesting this or the amount they require, contact our team for advice.

My former partner has a new partner; do I still have to pay child support?

Yes, you do.

This support is also mandated should your former partner marry and is legally binding irrespective of how much their new partner or spouse earns.

Can I apply to the Child Support Agency to lower child maintenance payments?

Yes, you can, but this application needs to be made within 12 months of the original child maintenance payment being agreed upon.

Any reduction in child maintenance will usually occur due to a percentage figure of your annual income being concluded upon by the courts. If you have a new job, for instance, that pays less than your previous one then it is likely that your child maintenance payments will be reduced.